HELP ENSURE THE RESTORATION OF:
         SKINNER ORGAN OPUS 637
AN HISTORIC PIPE ORGAN LOCATED AT COLUMBIA HIGH SCHOOL, MAPLEWOOD NJ
The CHS Organ Fund is applying for a grant to restore Columbia's Historic Pipe Organ.

We need your support to realize this grant.
    SUCK UP SOME SPACE
    1924-1927, WILLIS INFLUENCE:
NOTHING With a peerless reputation and no need to focus on finances, Skinner made a trip in 1924 to the factory of Henry Willis III in England to study new ideas in tonal design. Like the European organists that came to America and fell in love with the mechanical refinement of a Skinner Organ, Skinner went to Europe and found inspiration in what he heard. In England, the biggest shift in Skinner’s thinking began.
Ernest Skinner’s return from this journey marked the beginning of a new era for the Skinner Organ and a turning point for the organ in America. A new, brilliant, English “Willis-Type” mixture, accompanied by new life and buoyancy in the entire diapason chorus from 8’ pitch up, was incorporated thereafter in all larger Skinner organs. Even smaller two and three manual instruments (which, due to the preferences of many organists of that day, did not always have mixtures) were characterized by a clarity, brightness, and blending capacity that organs of similar size and composition did not have earlier.
--Dorthy Holden, "The Life and Work of Ernest M. Skinner
Though the CHS organ is a smaller three manual instrument, it does in fact have what was termed a “Willis Mixture” in the sales contract. It will take expert opinion and a functional organ to know the level of “clarity, brightness and blending capacity” that the CHS organ should have. The CHS Skinner organ was installed in November 1927, and crosses over to the next significant period in the evolution of the Skinner organ.

Continue to: 1927-1930, HARRISON COLLABORATION  

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
ABOUT SKINNER ORGANS `
ABOUT THE CHS SKINNER
ABOUT CHS
THE ORGAN AND THE COMMUNITY
What you can do!